Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I contacted a well known cleaning service to ask about job opening positions available now.?

I was told by the manager(?) or owner (?) that there was one position that needed to be filled by the last week of February He told me to call today and let someone know I'd be coming so there would be someone there. I called the office and arranged to come by on Monday morning to complete the job application, and hopefully be granted an interview.


To make a short story tediously loooonnnnggg I'll cut to the chase. I own a cleaning service that opened in September and I still haven't received a call or email from any potential customers. So I thought this job with the chain janitorial/house and commercial cleaning would give me experience, as well as learning how the business managed to remain so successful over the years. But my dilemma is whether to inform them that I'm just starting in the industry and have my own cleaning company. I'm afraid that they won't hire me because they might assume that I wouldn't stay very long, or suspect that I'm planning to compete against against them tin order to lure their estibled clientele away from them. I'm doing neither of these things because it would be highly unethical.


I would gratefully appreciate your wisest advice.


Thank you,


---CC
I contacted a well known cleaning service to ask about job opening positions available now.?
CC,





As long as your intentions are only employment and you do not crossover into self promotion, there is really no reason to disclose your business. If they ask you about it, tell them the truth. It was/is something you attempted on your own but decided to seek employment instead. Otherwise, the don't ask, don't tell policy would probably be the best. One thing you might want to be wary of is if they have you sign an application or anything make sure there isn't a "no compete" clause tucked away in the verbiage. Some companies try to corner the market on competition with these.


The best bet for you is to be 100% honest and give 110% of your effort to them while working there.





I hope this helps.





Brett Tadlock - Small Business Coach


Tadlock's Art of Business


http://www.tadlockart.com
Reply:I agree with Brett as far as the issue you are asking about. But just in case you don't get the job, or are still looking at establishing your own cleaning business, I have a few suggestions.


By your information, you are being too passive in attempting to acquire customers. Emails won't work and waiting for them to call you won't work. You need to get in front of the decision maker! Start with an introductory letter or phone call or drop by to introduce yourself and find out who is in charge. Then make an appointment to do an estimate or bid. Remember, every business that you do business with-insurance agents, lawyers, accountants, doctors-can be a potential customer. At least you will find out who they use, how much they pay and what they expect.


Search out new office complexes and find the leasing agent or property manager to find out who's in charge of cleaning services.


Oh, I have some many more resources and tips below....





You CAN do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

cleaning jobs Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting